black alligator strap with platinum deployant clasp
Accompanied by Patek Philippe Certificate of Origin, presentation box, product literature in leather wallet.
The Patek Philippe Ref. 5070 was introduced in 1998, as the brand’s first non-perpetual chronograph in over 40 years. Following the reference 1463 (ceased in the 1960’s), the 5070 was the latest chapter in a long legacy of great manually-wound, two-register chronographs.
On the 10th anniversary of the 5070, Patek Philippe released the platinum-cased 5070P, running the model for only a year before it became discontinued. This short run and Patek‘s limited production numbers makes the 5070P one of the rarest variants of the highly desirable reference.
Inspired by a unique split-second chronograph, manufactured by Patek Philippe in the early 1950s (the Ref. 2512), it was the first production watch manufactured by Patek Philippe with a case size larger than 40 mm, and was originally produced exclusively in yellow gold, before later being offered in other metals, including very limited quantities of the platinum case featured in this example.
Harking back to the much admired ‘golden-era’ Patek Philippechronographs of the 1940’s, this example has a blue-metallic sun-burst dial, with two subsidiary dials at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock respectively. The dial is classically understated, balancing the inclusion of a tachymeter scale (similar to that of a technician’s watch), and outer railway-minute track perfectly.
The watch displays five hands – hours, minutes, and seconds for the time, with seconds and minute hands for the chronograph. Overall, the dial layout is cleanly designed, with the chronograph highly-legible in a variety of lighting conditions and darkened, applied Arabic numerals offering enhanced readability. With its 42 mm case diameter, the size of the 5070 is unconventional by Patek Philippestandards – yet at 11.6mm thick, its stepped case design is typically considered, and wears comfortably on wrist.
The reference 5070P integrates Patek Philippe’s 24-jewel, manual-winding, CH 27-70 caliber, based upon a thoroughly re-worked Nouvelle Lemania 2310 ebauche, considered one of the finest chronograph movement designs ever produced. The movement is beautifully finished, with exquisite chamfering on all angles, polishing and decoration, in the form of Geneva striping. The movement uses a monometallic Gyromax balance wheel, with a high moment of inertia to guarantee timing stability, and beats at 18,000 A/h, with a power-reserve of approximately 60 hours. It’s constructed with 24 jewels, a shock absorber device, and a straight-line lever escapement.